allergy test guide
 

Sterling Silver And Allergies
By Meghan Milliken

Sterling Silver and Allergies

The truth is people are not usually allergic to silver or sterling silver. Rather a metal known as nickel, which has been used in sterling silver. Sterling silver is an alloy consisting of 92.5% silver and 7.5% other metals, traditionally copper, and sometimes some manufacturers will use nickel in sterling silver as a less expensive alternative to other metals.

Why Sterling Silver?

Pure silver is too soft to produce any functional pieces and loses shape too easily. Other metals are added to improve ductility, firescale, tarnish resistance, and reducing casting porosity.

Why Nickel?

Nickel, is a hard and ductile, silvery white metal that has been mistaken for silver in the past. Nickel is commonly used in jewelry including with precious metals and not just cheap or costume jewelry such as gold, white gold, sterling silver and platinum. Nickel gives white gold itís white color by alloying it with gold. Nickel adds many other properties besides color, such as strength and durability, and it has a strong lustrous effect.

Metal Occurrence

Allergies to nickel occur in approximately 10% of the population,

and nickel is the most common metal to cause an allergic reaction. An to nickel used in jewelry usually causes a reddening of the skin, as well as itching or burning in the area of contact and sometimes blistering of the skin, or a rash. There are differences in severity of metal allergies and sometimes if you do not have a severe to a certain metal then a piece of jewelry containing a very small portion of that metal may not cause a reaction, whereas a piece of jewelry containing a high amount will cause a slight reaction.

Metal Development

While some are genetically predisposed to have a reaction to some metals, others can develop a metal over time with regular exposure. This is common among most kinds of allergies. So, it is possible to have a favorite piece of jewelry, regardless if it is made from a precious metal such as gold or platinum or silver, that has been worn many times or consistently for years suddenly cause a reaction.

Nickel-Free is Not Necessarily Allergy-Free

Nickel free jewelry is also more expensive as it uses other higher priced metals in place of nickel. It should not be assumed that nickel free jewelry is actually free. People can be allergic to any type of metal including brass, copper and very rarely gold or silver. It is recommended that if any jewelry causes any discomfort, such as the symptoms described above, you should seek a metal test from your physician to make certain you know what metal is causing this. Otherwise you might make the wrong assumption and wind up buying a whole new wardrobe of jewelry that may cause a reaction as well.

Wikipedia
American Academy of Dermatology
Sterling Silver Jewelry


 
 
  Here are some articles to start with.  
 
 
Testing Yourself For Food Allergies
By Mitamins Team
If you think you may have a case of food allergies on your hands and have noticed allergy symptoms such as itchy, watery eyes; sneezing; headache; fatigue; postnasal drip; runny, stuffy, or itchy Read more...
What Is Yeast Allergy And How To Cure?
By Shabi R Guptha
Since a rose by any other name is still a rose, it stands to reason that a yeast infection by any other name is still a yeast infection, or rather, a yeast allergy. You could Read more...
 
 
 
 
   
Copyright 2007 by Living with - without allergy, All Rights Reserved     Disclaimer